Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Summer Fires






Yet another difference living up in a remote part of the Yukon for this city girl.
At home, if I hear water bombers, helicopters in the air and smoke so thick it burns the eyes. I want to turn on the TV and see a detailed map of where the fire is, how close it is and what they are doing about it...!!!! Here the stations we are getting are satellite...Edmonton, Vancouver. They are not even aware our valley is filled with smoke...

As far as I know there is not even a station in Whitehorse...









Last night the sun turned quite red so Phyl and I headed off about 9:30 PM to see what we could see....Smoke does not make for great photo taking opportunities...except.....if you have a pond of water or a river to catch a reflection....Remember the longest day of the year is very close....although I haven't seen dark.....





Isn't this beautiful....the air was red...of course the sun confuses the light meter, it was quite light but the smoke made it dark....(you think I am confused?) We were stopping on the highway, bridge...at one point the RCMP cruiser passed us and just waved and smiled....(I think word has got around the town about this city girl...)








At this point I don't know where the smoke is coming from....neighbour mentioned there is a fire 110K's away... I need to convert that to know when I have to start packing....


I am only kidding of course,
no one else in town seems to be
worried...but I will be watching
their eyes and I never really
unpacked!!!!!

2 comments:

Carol Leibham said...

Hi Heather.....have been checking the blog all along but haven't had time to comment until today....the pictures are amazing.....loved the flowers but the mushroom was my favorite. The photos taken of the lake when it was smoky are gorgeous...if you hadn't told us, I would have thought they were taken when it was almost dark. What an awesome place the Yukon is....so many wonderful things to see and enjoy....Mother Nature sure has smiled on that area......thanks for sharing it all with us....looking forward to your next installment.....Love ya

L'home bombeta said...

Very nice blog on Yukon. I am going to spend my holidays there and it's been very usuful to see another point of view far from the usual guides comments. Thanks and keep posting...