Monday, June 11, 2007

Little Salmon Lake



Imagine, I left home well over a month ago!!!! I have been retired 42 days. The adjustment has not been to difficult....;-))
We have had a couple of rain days, (not the likes Calgary has seen) but on our nice days Phyl and I are still exploring.



I have found the most perfect campsite, it is located on Little Salmon Lake campground Site # 8. I know I shouldn't be telling everyone, it should be a secret I will give you a peek...
One of our thoughts is to retire my old camper van up here...Drive it up and leave it here and fly home. Then every year come up for a holiday and its here for me to park and enjoy.
It's a thought!!!!
We are also planning another trip before I head home that will take us to Haines Junction, Yukon down the Kluane Park Highway towards Haines Alaska and across the ferry to Skagway Alaska again..We also are going to travel down to Atlin, B.C. as a side trip just to see...
When I first arrived at the beginning of May...the season was very early for here..The leaves were not out on the trees and numerous trip we took to explore found not to many flowers.. The lupines were the first out in the warm spring sunshine (all 18 hours of it) now at the beginning of June I am amazed at the variety of flowers showing their stuff...We have spent a great deal of time identifying and discussing names of plants . Hopefully we have them correct. I need to buy a Yukon plant book as my Rockies book is just not complete enough for here...Let me show you ones that caught my eye....
Tall Bluebell I could not believe the color of this bloom, this item was in the shade and protected from the wind by a bank of trees and I was there at the right time...
It reminds me of the plant Lynn gave me at home that blooms both pink and blue.
Every time I take a little tour or walk with Oliver I am finding a new little flower that has popped out of the ground in the warm spring sunshine. Some are familiar from home, (little Johnny Jump Ups )








others I don't believe I have seen. (Yellow Dryads)

Are they not the cutest with
their little nodding heads?


















And just outside Phyl's driveway in the gravel are some yellow daises that we have identified hopef
ully correctly as Arnica











I still have not seen any fireweed.. at least

not blooming. I have an excellent photo
of Phyl's that I would love to show you..










I cannot wait for these to come out. I can just imagine the views I will be able to find.

1 comment:

trac said...

love the pictures of all the flowers....i will get mom to come over and have a look at all of them........nice campsite,enjoy before everyone heads up there......have been loving all of the info and pictures....you make it feel like we are right there with you......lov trac