Monday, June 25, 2007

Rambling


Phyl's photo






Good morning. It is 5:42 AM my time to reflect.
On a drive yesterday up to the lake and airport, trying, unsuccessfully,to take photos of flowers (it was to windy, could not focus) we tried our best to get caught in a thunderstorm. We were debating whether it was best to sit by the lake or under a tower by the airport (lightning would hit the tower) but it had to be somewhere with a view....We finally decided Phyl's living room overlooking the valley was the best spot. Sitting waiting for the storm I noticed my speedometer is reading 78043 original miles were 70614= 7429 K's It seems so long ago I was so excited about buying the car, Elsie and I travelled to Revelstoke BC for a couple of days...then off I was headed for the Yukon....Someone convert this for me...How many miles is that.....?




"Are we going home yet?"










Which reminds me of another photo I haven't shown yet...On one of our forays there was a little fox hunting for mice just off the road. I enlarged and cropped, all the fun things to do with the software and was amazed with the coloring of these little fellows.
Doc is telling me these little guys
are called Cross Foxes. He was ignoring us just off the highway next to the entrance to Faro, a very busy intersection. His tummy was empty and there was only one thing on his mind.










Phyl has been looking for large mushrooms that tend to grow in the shady woods here. On my walk with Oliver down the hills below the house I found one that only turned out to be about 9 " but the texture and colour was unusual.
We have been doing our best to identify the flowers in this area. Our next trip to Whitehorse promises a trip to the bookstore to buy a Yukon Wild flowers book. We are using two borrowed books right now.







We are on the hunt for a patch of Cotton Grass. I have never seen this down south. It grows in bogs and can cover quite a large area.





We only have a couple of weeks to gather more photos. Phyl is expecting some company from the states for a couple of weeks and then we are off on our trip to Haines Jct. Yukon and then to Haines, Alaska then on a ferry to Juneau, Alaska and down to Skagway, Alaska again. By that time it will be beginning of August. I am thinking that may be time to head er home.. My little nest is calling.
But on the agenda for the next couple of weeks is, Cotton Grass, Fireweed (hopefully in front of a log cabin) & my quad trip.
My favourite slew is still producing some lovely views.
I am surprised at how many
photos I have taken of this little spot. The water is a mirror reflecting the Yukon world around it.











At home out at Mike's last year there was an invasion of dragonflies, beautiful brilliant blue and dark dark Burgundy. I found the blue ones way up here at Johnson's Lake, and conveniently a rusty old barrel for a handy backdrop.(click to enlarge) It's hard to see the little guy so let me give you another peek...












Are we thinking
perhaps I have filled this space up completely today????? No, I have just one more favourite photo to share.
We haven't yet figured out what this is called. For some reason I think it's special...

You know, I am well over 1000

photos at this point. I am thinking
who is going to sit and look at all
1000 photos without falling asleep?
It doesn't matter, these photos will
be here for me to enjoy and remember my trip for yrs. to come.
I think this is just about enough reflecting for one morning....
Have a great day everyone.

1 comment:

Carol Leibham said...

Hi Heather...yes I am alive...have been very busy....will email soon....I'm really enjoying all the photos...the scenery is so beautiful... the plants & flowers are not only pretty but in many cases they're not what we see down here so its very interesting...enjoyed the wildlife photos and your ramblings about the cabin...thought that you would have a whole story to share with us about the people who lived there.... also liked the idea of you leaving your footprint...I envy you both the beauty and the solitude and I'm so glad that you are really relaxing and enjoying everything...looking forward to your next installment.