Sunday, July 1, 2007

Fireweeds Summer Measure.


On one of our evg. exploring trips Doris mentioned a phrase that caught my attention. I was out on my knees taking a photo of the fireweed and she said "you know Heather when the end tip of the fireweed is blooming, summer is over" That is their signal...I will be watching the rest of my trip....Because I have had the luxury of being here so long, I was able to first see the first blooms of spring out (lupin) and now can start collecting seeds to take home and see how they catch on there....I already have some lupine and Jacobs ladder..I am also finding new flowers that are just branching out now....beautiful...
There is the promise of some beautiful photos down the
blind creed road fireweed in amongst the trees, a trip
I will take next week....
I have found solitary patches of new flowers Twinflower & Wintergreen. Either its early for them or they hide well...






I thought the winter green originally was Heather, but the leaves said different and sent us back to the books. Phyl and I have spent hours looking up and debating names of all the flowers...hopefully we are close...I so appreciate her interest also, she has been so patient driving the countryside watching me crawl around on my knees.


I am also learning more and more of the camera..focusing on such a close subject presents challenges I have learned to rely on manual focus more than auto...

















This wintergreen proves difficult to find in the underbrush and I have to admit...I am looking for some plants that I maybe able to bring home...The plant on the left I found and got so excited I very carefully dug up plants and as much root as I could get....I forgot to photo it!!!!!!then when I went back to get another shot I could only find one more plant....!! Hopefully more will come out later and I didn't take the last two ;-((((
We have had thunderstorms every day...of course the more rain the less forest fires there will be. I have found raindrops create another opportunity for a photo...





















I must be a sparkle person...didn't realize it until now.....Always good when there is sparkle in your life.....


Moose love Green Reindeer Lichen
Lacy looks like Coral

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nana,
I miss you so much i wish i was there with you too! Well i got your gift i'v read the first chapter and think it's great already. Did i tell you about the big hail storm a few nights ago? Well we were at the video store durring the sorm and Jocelyn had rolled down her window too far and Tango got scared and skeezed out the window thankfuly she's smart enough to watch where we go and in what doors we enter so anyways she jumped out the window and ran to the video store doors just as we were paying fot the moveis, we caught her and left for home.

Bye nana
Thank you for the book nana i really needed a new book for the summer!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ma!

Have I told you lately how much we miss you...

I had a coffee late the other night and therefore i was up till the wee morning reading your entire Blog... well done, well said. I've very much enjoyed reading your journal from your eyes. Thinking pretty deep on those old historical cabins...

I was talking to Gord's Mom this morning and she was so impressed by your photos and journal too. I'm printing yet another copy so I can take it to Nye today, she will love taking her time to read it.

Signing off for now, love you,
Jody

Anonymous said...

Hi Nana, Thank you to book, I'm going to read it soon. I'm going in grade 2. We are going camping together soon with you and the van, I can't wait! I love you Nana, from Keaton.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nana, I miss you, we were at the cabin I got 2 new Goosebump books, one is called beware of the snowman and the other is How to kill a monster. Now I have 12 books in all. I'm reading the Barking Ghost right now and into the jungle of Doom. I really like the book you sent me. I hope to finish the books I'm reading now and read yours by the time you get home. I hope you come home soon. Were are leaving for the coast soon and then camp when we get home we are going to West Edmonton Mall, then camping we you after you get home. Bye, have a good day. P.S. I love you more than the earth... Jocelyn