White Mtn. Moss Heather....One of my great finds on Sunshine Mtn. Yukon It was in the Yukon flower books, but I couldn't find it....
There it was right up at the top huddled in a depression away from the wind and rain....
This is not a perfect shot....I have a lot to learn with focus on closeup's and when your at the top of the mountain on a quad trip there is no second chances...
There were other flowers also....ones I cannot identify.. but no matter their name they make a pretty picture.
I think it may be a violet of some kind, the leaves around it may not belong to it!!!! I will have to leave this to the experts..There were others of course.
Northern Monkshood
I found this in the outfitters corral where we spent an hour having lunch...
Yesterday the company left for Dawson Yk. so Phyl and I set off back to the log cabin on the North Canol Rd just 20 min from Ross River Yk. I wanted photos of the cabin with the fireweed blooming all around.....It didn't happen....the fireweed is there always was, but its not blooming!!!!! But of course I still found some photos.
A nice surprise of Tall Bluebells against the shady side of the log cabin.
Remnants of a sod roof....How many yrs. old?
A forgotten trophy left in the lean to on the side of the sod roof cabin...
Fireweed not blooming..........yet???????
I have had the luxury of being up in the Yukon almost three months now....What that has done for me is seeing almost a full season cycle. I saw blinding white snow in Jasper and Skagway...I saw the first signs of spring in the lupine, all the flowers lining the roadways including Yellow Dryad's with their little nodding heads...At this time of year they have gone to seed in a most interesting way....not unlike a dandelion the seed forms a puff that floats away in the winds (unless captured in a plastic bag in the back of Heather's CRV) and left with a cute little twist, all exactly the same. I thought I had never seen this little gem before but Sam just sent me photos of his latest hiking trip with Alister and there they were all lining the path he was walking on....good to know they are at home for me....
I have spent this quiet rainy afternoon catching up with my blog....Phyl and I leave for Haines Alaska and back to Skagway on Thursday, so I'm not sure when I will get that opportunity again.
I am also heading home after that trip...taking my time to see the rest of the country...stopping at Stewart BC to see the grizzles feeding on the salmon....The excitement of seeing Stewart perhaps makes leaving this wonderful spot in the world a little easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment