Thursday, May 17, 2007

Update # 4


Good morning...I am sitting in Phyl's living room and its snowing...Rain when I first got up but its changed...beautiful...and guess what I'm retired, if I don't have to go out in this, I don't have to...;-))))
This photo of the birch (I think its birch, maybe poplar) was taken on the Alaska highway...Prophet Creek. I pulled off the road for a break and found the nicest campground suitable for large motorhomes, which always surprises me way out in the boonies like this. Tried to tempt a Whisky Jack (Grey Jay) to eat grapes out of my hand but he would have nothing of it....They have not been trained like the Jay's of the national parks. I left them on the picnic table for him to enjoy after I left.
I travelled from Chetwynd BC to Ft. Nelson on Day 3 of my trip. The first couple of hours you travel along a scenic byway highway and in a couple of weeks it would be spectacular. Only the warmer hillsides are showing a slight blush of green, the rest of that huge valley is still brown. Not to many photo opportunities. Even the mighty Peace River could have been more impressive. It is a striking road though with glimpses of deer feeding in the grassy meadows.
a 'peaceful' area. Nice to see.
About noon I arrived at the Alaska Highway. My perception of the highway, which I had set in my mind, was of a wide expanse of highway covered with semi's and motorhomes. I guess similar to what you see in the travel brochures. My first glimpse of the highway reminded me of a northern Sask. highway I expected at least a "Deerfoot"!!!! Within the next 2 days I found it changed character numerous times ranging from that Sask. highway to a goat trail through the mountains and then finally after Liard it branched out to that wide expanse I was looking for.
I am amazed at the wildlife in this area ranging from moose, bear, caribou and I'm sure some elk...This city girl thought she was seeing elk on the side of the road until I saw this sign that said "Watch for caribou on the road for the next 1000 miles". I can only rationalize that by saying they are probably related......elk and caribou.......I also noticed this is not the national parks because I have seen at least a dozen animals on the side of the road (all hit by semi's I'm sure)
and the highways dept do not pick them up...Before I arrived at Liard hot springs, I saw this magnificent buck caribou with a large white mane around his neck, licking salt I think off the middle of the highway...I made sure I slowed down and chased him off the highway with my horn, but as I went on my merry way I saw in my rear view mirror he came right back up on the highway . Of course three miles down the road I faced a semi, with one of those cattle guard bumpers, careening towards me spray flaring out the sides of his truck going top speed. I could just visualize that buck on the highway...This is such a girl comment, but I worried about an hour, to the point of just about going back to see if he was alright. I didn't, I was afraid of what I would see. At Stone Mtn. I found out later there were Stone Sheep just coming down off roadside cliffs. The wee little sheep you would see with even the tiniest little ones....
There is not a lot of traffic...I think I mentioned I have travelled more than once for 1.5 hrs without seeing another vehicle....Every stop I have I get out and immediately notice the quiet...The only thing you may hear is wind and birds...how wonderful it is to listen.....
I am loving this experience.

3 comments:

Josh,Cate,Courtney,Brenden said...

Have you done this 'blogging' before? haha...because you're very good at it!

Carol Leibham said...

Love your description of the highway, countryside and wildlife...I just knew that you would enjoy the solitude.....how is Oliver taking to the trip and new vehicle....hope his infection has cleared up..... was hoping that you would have better photo opportunities but nevertheless you are seeing new sights and having wonderful new experiences and that's whats important. keep the stories coming girl....I'm really enjoying them...would love to be there with you.

Carol Leibham said...

By the way I didn't go into the blog for a few days so just read and commented on your third entry...keep them coming lady!!!