Monday, August 6, 2007

I'm home

Remember the measure of summer?When the tip of the fireweed is blooming, summer is over....I watched the fireweed as I drove all those miles and in some places it is blooming at the tip...and if you look hard enough, in the shady areas, it still has a long way to go....So I'm going with the shady......Again as on the way up, it was cloudy and rainy as I was going through Prince George. I saw a sign on the side of the road that said "Original Forest" and also remembering how important it is to get off that highway and find the treasures, I turned around and went into a hole in the forest. The road immediately turned into a off-road trail stewn with boulders....my mind was telling me, I didn't need a flat off the highway for no one to see me.....so I stopped and took a beautiful break.....I was looking for a photo that showed the fading fireweed and I found one that included the misty mountains....How perfect....Never did see the "Original Forest" though......I was also curious as to how far the fireweed travels south? This trip has made me much more aware of the wild flowers of Canada. I have to admit I had taken them for granted. ...I enjoyed the sights of a hillside covered with Old Mans Wiskers...enough to bring them home to enjoy in my own garden....That is one flower I only saw in the Yukon on my quad trip up Sunshine mtn. ....a wee one hovering in the shelter of a rock...I brought home so many flower seeds....my next couple of weeks is going to be busy. Leaving so early in the year, a lot of spring garden work did not get completed...I am going to be busy catching up...and loving every minute of it...holidays are great but coming home feels real good also.....;-)



I now remember what draws individuals to the Yukon. The traffic started about Prince George and continued through Jasper National Park all the way home.....Now I did happen to pick the Sat. of a long weekend to arrive home, which happens when your retired, you forget long weekend stuff.......The traffic actually came to a complete stop on the trans Canada just after Lake Louise....My immediate thoughts were, "I don't want to see an accident, or an animal hit" as I came closer and closer to the bottleneck. It was a bear sitting nonchalantly on the other side of the wire fence on the side of the highway, with at least 200 people running up and down the ditch taking his photo....One car in front of me came to a complete stop craning their necks to see what they were missing....I gave a polite beep on the horn just to remind them they were travelling on the trans Canada highway....only to be completely ignored.....!!!! I waited, impatiently, I must admit remembering all my opportunities to observe wildlife throughout my trip.....and none were behind a wire fence.....How lucky I have been.....Lets also be thankful there were not crowds of people up in the Yukon running in the ditch to take photos....I hope that never changes.....I hope I always have some space to travel to.....I love my little nest in Calgary, but I need my open spaces and quiet also......



Hey.....there has been enough blither on this blog and not enough photos....
I have 5 days to catch up on.....

The trip to Stewart and my decision to travel on a
Road Closed section of the highway....
The highlight of Stewart of course the bears feeding
on the salmon....and the beauty of the Stewart highway.
So glad I followed my gut feeling and
ignored the sign.....

No comments: